01 September 2009

1st Day of School!!!

This is it!!!  Its for real now!!!  I am a student again.....AHHHHH!!!!

I had my first class on Thursday, MicroEconomic Theory!  I actually already took it, but since its been 9 years (ouch! I feel old) I had to retake it.  But this is a good thing because I am easing back into school.  Its actually a semester crammed into 5 weeks (I'm also taking an Italian class) and then I will have orientation and start taking a full coarse-load at a normal semester pace.  

So how did it go?  Well I have to admit, I was very scared for that first class and there was alot running through my mind.  I felt like I couldn't take notes fast enough, I was intimidated by 22 year old peers giving textbook answers, it was hard to pay attention to someone lecturing for 3 hours on elasticity of prices, I need to buy a calculator, did the professor really mean we had to study economics everyday, what if i don't pass, readings, problem sets, an exam worth 40% of my grade???!!!!  Oh God, This is really happening!

The following morning I had to take a Calculus test, but I actually think I did ok on it and I even took a test in Italian (I don't know any Italian!) but I must have made some good guesses because I ended up in a class level 4 (out of 6!) - time to hit the books!

Even though the big switch feels a little daunting at times, I am really excited for these new challenges and it feels good to be in an academic setting again.  I promise not to write too much about boring school stuff but I will keep you updated on living in Italy, the food, trips, and interesting anecdotes.

Oh and lucky for me, our first reading was on the economics of the Food Stamp Program....watch out class, I have some ideas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment