01 October 2011

9$ for butter?!?!

Yes, I broke down and realized if I wanted butter on my toast or be able to make cookies I would have to pay 9$ for butter.  There are 3 supermarkets (I use that term loosely) in town that cater to ex-pats and have things like nutella (almost $10) pickled cabbage from Germany and snickers bars.

Meat is even more interesting.  They have hot dogs and chicken fingers and although I am a meat eater I like my meat to resemble the animal from which it came.  The other market did have meat which included rabbit and goat…not sure what to do with them…so I think I will be sticking with lentils for now :-)





I did go to the Khona-Khona a local market recently and was very excited to find eggplant, okra, cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, onions, bananas, pineapple and avocado – it truly made me very happy and I realized, I’ll be fine here!  I even already hosted my first dinner party.

No comments:

Post a Comment