24 October 2011

Views of South Sudan

I wish I could take more photos to convey how it looks here, however left over from the days of Khartoum it is still pretty much prohibited to take photos and even if allowed many people would probably be uncomfortable...here is a photo essay from the Pulitzer Center that conveys what South Sudan looks like.

When its not rainy the roads are rust-colored red and kick up dust and it looks sometimes haunting when you see a figure crossing the road as it suddenly appears in the dust.  When its rainy it turns into a thick black sticky mud which makes it easy to get stuck in the deep rivets and potholes (South Sudan is the most expensive place in the world per kilometer to pave roads).  Main roads tend to be lined with one story shacks that sell things like cooking oil, rice, eggs, tomatoes, spare motorcycle parts, charcoal made from trees.  There are goats and motorcycles navigating through the roads and the crowds.  I'm always fascinated just looking out the window but even if I could, I'm not sure I could quite capture the feeling.  

I do have to say though, that some of the prettiest sunsets I have ever seen are here in Juba. 

1 comment:

  1. South Sudan, an austere beauty, tourism may be possible, but got to do something about the bugs

    ReplyDelete