10 March 2009

La Primera Dia de Eschuela...

The first day of school

Its been awhile since I had a first day of school, I guess I was nervous, because I woke up this morning and as I looked at my clothes & realized that the next few months I was going to be putting on the same 2 pairs of jeans with a few t-shirts and tank tops I brought. It felt surreal and I also felt odd, maybe even a little sad, knowing that I wasn’t going to dress up a bit more and head to work.

But my nerves soon turned into excitement (emocionante - so glad I finally learned that word) when I arrived at school. It was a hustle of excitement as I took placement tests and got my schedule. As I waited for my schedule, I realized that I didn’t have the persistent headache and furrowed brow I had since arriving, I then realized I was having my first conversation in English!

I decided that I was going to be a serious student and really learn the language. I start off with 2 grammar classes, 1 class on practical Espanol (how to actually use it!), a conversational Spanish class, as well as a private lesson (today I learned the past tense - progress!) and salsa lessons!!! Next week I’ll start traditional cooking classes. I start the day at 9, wrap up most of my classes by 2pm, head home for the big meal with my host mother at 3pm and then back to school for studying, mi privada (private lesson) and salsa classes. Plus with all the museums, sites, theater and concerts I think I’ll be busy and I was concerned that I would have too much time on my hands, I even heard rumors of a Pilates studio in town….

1 comment:

  1. Marguerite, how did I miss you before you left town? I never even heard your plan. I can't wait to read about all your adventures!

    By the way, I was in Guatemala for a whole week before I learned the past tense. My family thought I was C-R-A-Z-Y!

    ReplyDelete