12 March 2009

Lentil Soup with Bananas?

Aside from 'Maggie' confusion, my host mother is fantastic and she is an amazing cook, everything from scratch including yogurt! And she has decided I’m too skinny. Breakfast is at 8, This morning she made me a HUGE bowl of fresh fruit (papya, guava, mango, banana), oatmeal, yogurt, homemade granola, and I had to beg her not to make me eat huevos y tortillas.

Everyday lunch is at 3 and is always different, yesterday we had chilie rellenos, mountains of perfectly cooked carne with onions and peppers, friend plantains, frigjoles, tortillas, topped off with apples covered in chili powder or jelly beans! (the jelly beans are an odd touch, I don’t quite get it). Today she made this amazing lentil soup, spicy, flavorful and then put bananas in it! It seemed odd but once I tried it, it was surpassingly good the spicyness with the sweet.

At lunch there is also always tons of people, cousins, kids, in-laws, grandkids and they are all very patient with my terrible Spanish asking lots of questions. I tend to have a bit of food coma afterward and they always ask why I am sleepy.

Supper is a smaller meal at 8pm and comes complete with cinnamon tea! It usually consists of enchiladas or something like a Cuban sandwich and frutas!! Only problemo es no veduras frescas! i.e. no leafy greens for me! Which all of you know could quite possibly spell certain death for me, but I did some investigation and found 2 restaurants that serve salad. I’ll be hitting them up for a mid-morning snack!

I promise to post info on the town soon ;)

3 comments:

  1. Ay claro, probaste plantanos!Margarita! Posible...
    que rico, me encanta platanos en/con cualquier cosa!

    Tu novio Costaricense no te ensenaste comidas tipicas como una sopa con platanos?! Que malo es! A lo menos, El sabe como tener fiestas muy buenas!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marguerita!!! I just found your blog and read it for the first time! I am so excited for you! Yay for new adventures! I miss you-Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess lentils with bananas is the same idea as black beans and plantains. That was one of my favorite dinners in Guate

    ReplyDelete