21 April 2009

Comida Tipica - not everything is better fried

As all of you know I love food, talk about it often, and may be wondering what food in Guatemala is like. It's interesting. Breakfast usually consists of ‘mush’ and I was very excited to have mush, because I like hot cereal and the mornings here are cold - but its not mushy - its extremely liquidy. Honestly its warm milk with 2 or 3 pieces of oatmeal in it, I’m not a huge fan of milk or warm milk, so I start the day with the breakfast of champions and cookie and a cup of coffee.

Lunch usually is stewed chicken, potatoes or rice (which is good), and then dinner is always an egg, scrambled, fried or omlette-ish and black beans, refried, fried, or just regular. Despite there being amazing fruits in Central America and this being a super agricultural area, my host mom doesn’t serve fruits or vegetables, so a few times a week I skip the egg and bean meal (I’m concerned about my kidneys having to process too much protein) and head to a restaurant for a salad. During the day I buy fresh mangoes and other peel-able fruits off of the street for a mid-morning snack.

I hate to sound like a spoiled American but its definitely been a bit of adjustment to the food. But the other day had to be the crux of my culinary dilemma, I came home for lunch and was so excited to have something other than chicken, I didn’t know what it was but it was fried and covered in salsa served with rice - everything is better fried, right? No. It turned out to be fried baloney!! I covered it in salsa and chilies but it still tasted like baloney. And after 2 bites I just couldn’t force myself to eat more…sadly the everything tastes better fried is not a universal axiom.

No comments:

Post a Comment