13 April 2009

Life in Xela

Xela is about 8,000 feet above sea level and a bigger city situated up on a plateau of mountains. To be honest it is taking some time to adjust , its definitely a little smoggy and safety for women unfortunately seems to be a concern, so I just have to be home by dark (unless accompanied by a chaperone, but please don‘t worry I have very concerned host parents and a brother here), So I will just have do some exploring and find some fulfilling activities for the day.

My family in Guatemala is very sweet, we live in a very tiny (1 tiny bathroom for all of us!), nice house a few blocks from school. My host parents are both retired teachers, she was a first grade teacher and he was Phys Ed teacher, and they have one son left at home who is finishing up his university degree in architecture. My host father was so excited that I had done a marathon, he too did one back in the 80s and was excited to point out he beat me by 2 minutes. My host mother was absolutely appalled when I drank a glass of cool water - she thinks it causes coughs and of course I have one (pollution and altitude?) so when I ask for water she hands me a glass of hot water…hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment