15 April 2009

Volcan Tajumulco

I’ve always wanted to climb a mountain by the light of a full moon and this weekend I did! - and it was Central America’s highest mountain just shy of 14,000 feet.

It was incredible, we (my teacher - our guide and some other students) started off at 10:30pm Saturday night, with what can best be described as s nauseating ride to the Mexican border. We started hiking at 1:30 in the morning (at 2,800 meters), and the moon was full. It was absolutely fascinating the moon gave the trees a haunted look, while huge rocks looked menacing. At points I knew we were walking on a narrow pass, but I couldn’t see the cliffs on either side.

For the first 3 hours we climbed, but the last hour was getting difficult. Between the altitude, high winds and at this point it the only way up was to climb hand over hand over rocks. After about 45 minutes of bouldering and pulling myself up in the dark, I honestly picked a rock and thought that rock will be the summit for me. But then I remembered my Dad giving me advice on this trip and life, saying to make sure I climb to the top of the mountain and that I don’t look back or go back down, but to go over to the other side. I realized there was no way to get to the ‘other side’ if I didn’t get to the top. I took a deep breath and honestly found anything I had left and climbed for 10 minutes more and finally reached the summit 5:40 am (approx 1500 meter elevation gain) - just in time to see the sunrise!


Words cannot even describe the view. On one side I saw the moon lighting up the sky pink and blue, on the other the sun changing the sky to brilliant red and orange. We could see the peaks of other volcanoes and were well above the clouds, eventually as the sun came up the shadow from the volcano I was standing on could be seen on the clouds. It was really breathtaking and the pictures (courtesy of Sarah) do not do the experience justice. I must point out that it was cold and by cold I mean that when I spilled some Gatorade on my backpack it immediately froze - and stayed frozen for awhile.

Here are pictures, and a video from the top - that noise is the wind. While I considered it a once in a lifetime experience, it was my teachers 111th time climbing the mountain, that’s right 111.



The top in the background at 9am.





No comments:

Post a Comment