09 April 2009

The last few days in GTO….

Even though I had ‘La Grippa’ I had an amazing last few days in Guanajuato…I visited 2 silver mines, another nearby city Dolores Hildago, where I feasted on avocado ice cream, saw traditional folkloric dance and spent lots of time walking around the city (eating pastries, drinking liquid chocolate and fresh mango juices) wanting to remember this magical place….that I will definitely come back to.

How cute mining humor…

Check out the guys cleaning the top.

One of my favorite folkloric dances (others were quite fun, a mix between country line dancing and salsa with a hint of big band music)


Scenes from around GTO



My favorite café

Under the city was a crazy system of streets for the cars (on top mostly pedestrian walkways) but these ramparts make you think you are driving underneath a fortress - take that Big Dig!

The pictures of my house didn’t come out because it was a little too dark, but this is the garden of the house I lived in (and it had a hammock where I attempted studying but only ever accomplished a siesta
)

And my absolute favorite thing about GTO ws turning evry corner and finidng live music, usually a whole band. But this has got to bee one of the coolest traditions…’estudiantinas’ (I think its like a frat, but most nights they play music in traditional costumes, sing funny songs, tell funny stories and then sometimes they start walking through the city singing in different alley ways, acting out the story of the Callaholn de Besos, here’s a clip….enjoy

It was also hard to say goodbye to my family, even though it had only been a month, they were pretty incredible and totally welcomed me fully into their family. They all made me promise, I would return soon and my host mother showered me with gifts including some of her prize recipes....YUM

No comments:

Post a Comment