15 May 2009

Comida Tipica - more rice, more beans, but more YUM!

Luckily Costa Rican food is good, or my host mother here is a much better cook. The fresh fruit here is incredible, every morning I start off with watermelon, pineapple and papaya before my 4 km walk on the beach to school. (I decided not to take the bus and instead walk). They have the main meal here at 12:30 however since I am not home from school then I eat around 7pm. So far I’ve had some yummy traditional dishes, rice with calamari that uses the ink for sauce - this was a favorite of mine, fried plaintains, simple green salads, a special rice drink (that's according to my host mother is good for digestion but who knows?) homemade French fries and of course rice and beans. Another specialty is a certain sopa de pollo - so yummy but why soup in a place where the temperature is 90? it’s a chicken base that the fill with veggies, potatoes, boiled eggs, some peppers and then you add your rice in - muy rico!

Not necessarily comida tipica but unfortunately for my waistline someone introduced me to snickers bars with almonds! I never liked snickers but with almonds they are tasty and addictive!!! While the cravings for them here are strong, I will be happy to not have them in the U.S.

As for my Spanish, I feel its progressing well! I am speaking somewhat quicker and know how to use the subjunctive! I can read the newspaper, get around and talk about random things. So hopefully I sound ok :)

No comments:

Post a Comment