28 May 2009

G is for...Breadcrumbs?

Guanajuato, Guatemala, Guanacaste
When I looked back and thought of the places I studied, people I met and sights I saw, I tried to think of a theme for this trip. I learned Spanish, although still have a lot to accomplish, it was an empowering experience to come down here by myself, and great to meet interesting people of all ages, from around the world. I thought having gone to all places beginning with G must mean something as I definitely didn’t plan it that way so here are some of my favorite G words en espanol that have a significance with this trip.

Galleta - cookie - I love cookies! And while they have not quite mastered the concept of pastries in Latin America I did find American style chocolate chip cookies in Guatemala (at a local bakery) that I ate way too many of but they definitely were very comforting …and of course when I came across margarita cookies, I was pretty thrilled.

Gallo - rooster - I finally get the reason why they are a symbol of waking and early mornings, roosters were in all 3 places and are insanely loud! Its impossible to ignore them! However the crow all the time and their idea of morning is NOT my idea of morning.

Gauchos - cowboys - My Costa Rican family has a horse farm and I am thankful for being introduced to farm life.

Geckos - geckos - for eating the mosquitoes in my Costa Rican house

Gente - the people - everywhere I went, I met incredibly nice people and I really appreciated how many people opened their homes and families to me. Especially the volunteering projects in Guatemala made me realize how the majority of the people live in this world.

Girasol - sunflower - so many pretty flowers in Central America and such bright colors too. Sunflowers represent happiness and overall I was very happy here (until I got good enough Spanish to read the news)

Goce - pleasure - lots of fun times and pleasures which I indulged in, everything from ice cream and pina coladas, to beach vacations, waterfalls and volcanoes

Goerne family - my family in Mexico that was absolutely incredible

Gracias - thanks - I am incredibly thankful for such an amazing experience, having the opportunity to start learning another language and culture, and seeing so many amazingly different things.

Grande - good - from food to experiences it was all good!

Gratificacion - rewarding - So many aspects from building a stove, to getting around, to being complimented on my Spanish were rewarding experiences

Gringa - white girl - the further south I went, the more I stuck out.

La Gripa - the flu - and used to describe pig flu, while I was lucky to not get it, I did get another La Gripa in Mexico which is strange for me as I am never sick. But the striking headlines of pig flu added an element of drama to everyday life.

Guadalupe - the virgin of Guadalupe that is more popular in Mexico than Jesus - nothing wrong with people worshiping a woman!

Guantes - gloves - My host mother in Guatemala screamed that I needed Guantes for the cold. I didn’t believe her but somehow she found a pair of men’s ski gloves from the 80s, in a region where there is no snow. She made me take them for my hike to the tallest mountain in Central America and I have to admit they came in pretty handy.

Guzman family - my family in Guatemala for introducing me fried baloney and bowls of warm milk.

The breadcrumbs are still in my backpack despite all the places, packings and unpackings, somehow they are still in the crevices, but they will help lead me home…

Its been an amazing 3 months and I’m sad to leave, but I know I will come back to visit these places, yet I am also excited to go back to SF and see Brian and my friends, my family, and start the next chapter.

Thanks to everyone for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment