13 May 2009

Life on the Farm

A few weeks ago I had learned the grammatical structure for a mistaken identity, I did not pay attention because I thought how arcane, why would I need to know that. Well I firmly believe I was a victim of a mistaken identity.

On Saturday I said goodbye to Sarah in Belize and began the trek to Costa Rica. Of all journeys through Central America this was the best! Not wanting to deal with any more Central American border crossings by foot, (that has gotten a tad more complicated with the swine flu) I bought the cheapest plane ticket from Belize to Costa Rica. I boarded my flight and thought I had the wrong seat assignment. I was ushered onto the plane with hostess offering me toasted nuts (still warm), mints, chicken salad, warm face cloths, and cocktails to the first seat on the plane (I have never flown first class before!) and then I noticed a huge plaque - it was the same plane Pope John Paul II used to fly around Mexico, Guatemala and Central America - obviously someone must have mistaken my identity or I’m on the way to sainthood. Even though the majority of people were wearing masks to protect themselves form swine flue, I figured I didn’t need it as I obviously had the late Pope’s benediction.

I made the 5 hour journey from San Jose to Playa Flamingo. After Guatemala, Costa Rica is true luxury! Paved roads, air conditioning, vans built for 12 having only 9 people in them, no trash on the sides of the road, and you can drink the water!

However, my first impression of my new host family was panic - I was up a dirt road, I couldn’t see any neighbors, there were chickens, turkeys, cows, horses and 2 guard dogs roaming the land - and I asked them a zillion question where was I, was I safe, how do I get anywhere, when it finally dawned on me - I’m living on a farm! Once I realized that I have never truly lived rural and this was a farm, I was able to relax.

The view - the rope is for the hammock:)
My host family are farmers and during the rainy season they grow maiz and frijoles (corn and beans - the staple of any good diet here). I have a 23 year old host sister who is studying tourism at university, a 17 year old host brother who is in high school and very cute little 2 year old host sister who is very excited to wave at me.

I live in the bottom of the house, in my own apartment, 2 bedrooms, a kitchen with a bar and living area, plus my own bathroom - which is unheard of in Central America (and do you have any idea what this would go for in SF?!). It’s a bit strange as I am not ‘living’ with the host family, but after 9 weeks of sharing bathrooms with ‘brothers’ I found that I am happy to have my own space. Please note though Its very, very simple, no air conditioning which has already provided me with 2 sleepless nights and a kitchen full of geckos who make weird noises - which bothered me until I found out they eat the mosquitoes and other bugs. Given that the rainy season is coming (I hope malaria is not a problem here)- this is important.

Playa Potrero
I have a 10 minute walk down a dirt road into a beach town called Playa Potrero - that is a cute Costa Rican town with a beach restaurant, a soccer field, plaza, a supermarket and of course a catholic church. In town I pick up a bus that takes me to school - about 15 minutes ride to Playa Flamingo, very small town with a beautiful white beach. It feels good to see the Pacific again, and its so calm its almost like a lake here.

My new school is gorgeous and has a swimming pool, is super well-organized, and has lots of fresh fruit. So I think these can only be good omens.

No comments:

Post a Comment