21 May 2009

Life on the Farm - Part 3

Life on the farm for a city girl never ceases to amaze me. I came home the other day, opened the main door to my house and closed the gate to allow some air in but keep out intruders - or so I thought. As I was get ready for my after-hike-up-steep-hill-cold-shower I heard a weird noise. I turned around to see a giant black, wild turkey squeezing itself through my gate into my kitchen. I froze! And then a big, white turkey joined its friend in my kitchen!

At a loss for words and completely clueless how
to handle this situation, I made a beeline out of my apartment and found my host mother, where
I had to explain in Spanish there were 2 turkeys in my kitchen and I didn't know what to do. She laughed hard and then told me I must run at them to make them leave. I asked if she was serious....so together we ran at the turkeys and they eventually left out the front door. Yet another new cultural experience...running head-on at wild turkeys. A mug shot of the intruders is pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment