24 May 2009

The saga of the chickens

Life on a farm seems to provide me with endless entertainment...

Last week after I had 2 wild turkeys in my kitchen (not the alcoholic kind), I then had a crab get in, and the following day a toad. My host mother must think I’m nuts coming up every day “Discuple, pero yo tengo uno (fill in animal here) in my cocina, por favor ayudeme” (Excuse me but I have a BLANK in my kitchen, please help me).

However last night I heard the guard dogs barking and barking alot. Concerned about serial killers and intruders, I made sure the door was locked, put my ear plugs in and went back to bed. This morning, however I noticed that a mama hen and baby chick were missing. Apparently last night as the chickens slept in the lime tree (I didn't know chickens slept in the top of trees), a coyote came shook the tree until they fell out, and then ate them!!! My host mother was upset as you can imagine and told me tonight that we will be 'vigalante', i.e. they will shoot the coyote if they see him...hmmm not sure what to think about all this, but it makes me thing of the book Prodigal Summer which highlights the differences in opinions between shooting coyote to protect your investment and saving the coyotes.

The late mama hen and chick These baby chicks were spared by the coyote

No comments:

Post a Comment